Monday, January 10, 2011

FML...the steal of a lifetime just got away

All day long I read blogs and see posts about how my very fortunate blog friends across the country come across some amazing finds while they are out thrifting/ hunting for treasures.  I, on the other hand, visit thrift stores at least 2-4 times a month and never find anything valuable, or cute, or even worth the cheap prices they are listed at.  So boy was I surprised when out of the blue, a mid century dresser popped up in my neighborhood for free, and then broke my heart into a million pieces.  It went down like this.  The husband and I sleep in late, have delicious omelets for breakfast and then decide to hit up Target for some coat hangers.  I know, I know, so exciting you cant even bear it.  Anyways, on the way home, we saddle up next to a nice look dresser while stopped at a light.  I mean this sucker is just sitting there on the side of the road, ankle deep in snow and he is calling my name.  I do a double take, and exclaim out loud "I think thats a middle century dresser!" The husband turns to look at me, disgusted, and claims he pointed out this large piece of furniture on our way to Target.  Apparently I had blocked him out ( this happens ALL the time and I just dont know why GASP!).  We turn around, pull over and I cross traffic to get a better look at the front of the dresser.  Its perfect in every way.  Taped shut so the drawers dont fall out, not showing any signs of stains or dents...it really is a once in a lifetime find, right there on Passaic Ave.  I close my eyes and immediately fantasize about shoving all my clothes into the drawers and having an intimate relationship with the dresser.  So then the husband rumbles out of the car, takes one look at the dresser, again looks disgusted (he doesnt understand the worth of mid century modern furniture, nonetheless the practicality).  He then bends down to lift and awww shit- its a heavy one.  I dont mean a little cushion for the pushin, I mean certifiably dead weight heavy.  He tells me he cannot lift this alone into the car, and tells me I will not be able to left it to help.  I imagine a clone of the husband appearing to help, but then of course life couldnt be so easy.  So we drive away, while I chatter on about how we could pretty that baby up and sell it for at least $300-if not more.  I admit to the husband that I will not be able to stop thinking about this dresser and he recommends we go back "under the cover of darkness" to claim it.  I consider, but than realize there is no way in hell we will be able to lift it.  I am sad and angry and jealous all at the same time.  Why am I not stronger?  Why cant we have two very strong friends that could just surprise me with the dresser while Im working from home in pajamas?  Why does deli meat go bad so quickly? Sometimes life really does just F you over.

He looks just like this.  He would sell for alot, just like this one did.  He is still there, on the side of the road today.  I know, because I drove 10 minutes out of my way to check and again see if there was a chance I could lift him.  Maybe if we take the drawers out we could lift it?  life.is.so.unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment