Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kitchen Makeover Part 2- The After

Below are the after shots of our kitchen.  Its not a high fashion makeover and obviously we will gut renovate this room once we have the 30 or 40K it takes to do so.  I do love the white cabinets though- I am not a wood cabinet kind of girl at all and I tend to dream of a kitchen where I have open shelving for all my white and ivory colored dishware.  My style is definitely simple yet elegant with clean lines and not a lot of stuff lying around.  So, here is our attempt to make the kitchen a little more livable:



And so there you have it- our "new" kitchen, and it was all done for under $500.  We are pretty proud of ourselves I might add.  Yes, the hideous light fixture is still there- it will be replaced soon. The original appliances are still there, although we have thought about painting the dishwasher and fridge with chalkboard paint (my newest obsession)- but honestly we aren't flashy people and we could care less that the appliances are old and not so pretty- as long as they bake our cakes and keep our beer cold we are happy.


I dont have any "during" photos because this was done over a few weeks time and involved a minor issue that I like to call the "hair in epoxy incident".  Let me set it up for you:  the kitchen counters were pink Formica.  We happened upon "countertop epoxy" while in Home Depot and decided we would try it out.  So, a week goes by, the husband leaves for a bachelor party and I am home alone on a Saturday afternoon.  I had just gotten back from getting my hair highlighted and trimmed, so of course I was wearing it down, wanting to show off my new "do".  Well, I start painting the OIL based epoxy onto the counters and I am working very fast because this stuff has the consistency of nail polish, as in the second it starts to dry it leaves serious streak marks if you paint over it. So I am painting, getting slightly high off the fumes this stuff is putting out when it happens. I reached into the deepest corner on the countertop to get a small area I missed, thus sticking my head uder the upper cabinets, when approximately 1/4 of my hair (that is still down and all beautiful) decides its going to fall right into the cover of the epoxy.  I see this, stop short and try to move away slowly, thinking that a sudden movement could make this worse.  Well, I was wrong.  The slower I moved, the more epoxy from the cover got stuck to my hair.  Finally, I free myself from the area and I have the entire cover stuck to my hair.  Now- I realize that any normal person would not have left the cover right on the counter where they were working AND they wouldve tied their hair back- but like I said, the fumes got me high.  I rip the cover off my head and run upstairs to the bathroom to see how much epoxy actually adhered itself to my hair.  A lot.  So, I do what every college educated person would do, I run water through my hair, all over the OIL based epoxy.  The water does not rinse the epoxy out as I had hoped, no no, it basically made the stuff turn to cement in my hair, because as we all know, water and oil DON'T MIX. At this point I am in tears, completely distraught and thinking that I am going to have to chop all my hair off and wear a hat for a year.  I am also hating myself.  Finally, I was able to brush through a bit of it and pull some of the rock hard cement out.  Then, out came the scissors, and off went 1/8 chunk of hair from my head.  I kid you not, I had to cut almost 3 inches off.  I cant make this stuff up. I looked like a 4 yr old who cut her own bangs. 


A lot of my sweat and hard work (and some of my hair) went into the kitchen, so I love it even more.  And I learned some valuable lessons too.

No comments:

Post a Comment