Monday, October 26, 2009

Sign of the season- Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes

Two weekends ago as I was flipping through my newest Rachel Ray magazine, I came across an article for these delicious sounding cupcakes. Since its the perfect season to incorporate pumpkin into a dessert, I decided to go ahead and try these badboys out.
First, I created the cheesecake filling from cream cheese and confectionary sugar in a bowl. Then I created the pumpking batter with store bought pumpkin puree, egg whites, vanilla, flour, pumpkin pie spice, sugar and baking powder. I scooped out a bit of the pumpkin batter, added a scoop of the cream cheese filling, and then another scoop of the batter and cooked the little guys in the oven at 350 until I stuck in a toothpick and it came out clean.

Next, I made the frosting from brown sugar, egg whites and butter. I mixed the brown sugar and egg whites together, and then heated over a pot of boiling water until it reached 390 degrees, whisking the entire time. Then, I removed it from heat, and slowly added cold pieces of butter while beating on a high speed, to create a fluffy, buttercream frosting!


I didnt get the frosting hot enough on the first try, so I had to re-heat it to 390 degrees and start again... (ps- I am obsessed with my KitchenAid- I use it all the time!)


Next, I filled a plastic bag with the frosting and cut a hole in the corner (I didnt have a pastry bag) and squeezed a dollop of frosting onto each cupcake (after they cooled of course)

The end product? The most delicious pumpkin dessert I have ever had. They were very rich, so me and the husband were only able to eat one each that night.


My recommendation for the future- either buy or make a creamcheese frosting (similar to what you would use for carrot cake) as this buttercream frosting was TOO buttery and too rich for my liking. I ended up scraping the frosting off all the cupcakes and eating them like muffins, and they were just as good, if not better!



No comments:

Post a Comment